Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Happy Birthday, Mom!





















Today is my beautiful mom's birthday. She is such a great mom, I can't even tell you how blessed I am to have her in my life. Although at times my mom and I, like all mother/daughters, had some major fights. When I was younger, I remember us getting into a fight and she got on the phone with my dad. My response was, "Oh, go call daddy on me!" Sometimes she would get upset and tell me that it didn't matter because "daddy" would just take my side.

Some might think that we have an unusually close relationship as we have talked about anything from sex to bowel movements. That's right! Poop!

One of the many things I love about my mom is that she is the one person I can tell anything to and I know she will still love me the same. When I got pregnant with Eastan, she was there for me through the entire experience. From the "official" phone call confirming I was pregnant to the moment Eastan was born. I never felt that she loved me less and she was willing to support me with any decision I made during that time.

My mom has made a big impact on many people's lives. If you told her that, she would disagree, but it's true. From being a counselor in the high school department at our old church, discussion leader at BSF, children's leader at BSF, Sunday School teacher at Fellowship, Children's Director at Fellowship, friend, wife and mom - she has made an impact.

My mom is also a delicate person but at times when she is needed, she is so strong. Amazingly strong. The first time I realized this strength was when my grandpa passed away in 2002. My dad was in Nicaragua at the time and she remained so strong for the entire family. When my grandma got sick this summer, she again, was the rock. She took care of all the details (as my dad was again in Nicaragua) and kept it all together during such a difficult time.
To wrap it all up, I love my mom! I can always count on her to lift me up, cry with me, tell me the truth when I need it most, share a bottle of wine with me, laugh with me....I could go on and on!
Mom - thank you for being a SPECTACULAR mom! I love you!

4 comments:

gmacarolyn said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mom. This letter will mean more to her than any other gift you could give her and I know you realize how lucky you are to have such a Godly mother.

shannon said...

What a sweet message about your mom! I'm excited she will be on the trip to Nicaragua when I go in February! Happy Birthday "MOM"!

The Hills said...

I just have to say I love your dads wonderfully feathered hair in that family shot, its just so beautiful! Oh yeah and Happy Birthday Cheri!

Cheri said...

I'm only a good mom because I have such amazing kids and I love you more than words can say! Thanks for the great birthday tribute - it's better than chocolate (but that was good, too!)