Friday, December 5, 2008

Happy Birthday, Nicholas


Nick turns 28 today! Happy Birthday!

I met Nick in 2000 but I saw Nick the first time in 1999 at Fellowship Bible Church. My parents started going to Fellowship and encouraged me to go with them. The first time I went, my mom pointed this guy out to me and said "he is really cute, don't you think?" I looked at her and said, "MOM, he is just a baby! Look, he has braces. I doubt he would want to date me, I have a baby!"

I began going to church regularly with my parents and didn't think much of the "cute boy" until he graduated high school and got his braces off. A mutual friend (Emily Shivers) introduced us after Nick told her that he thought I was "hot." For months, our relationship consisted of us saying "hi" and "bye" to each other at church until I called and asked him out on a date in May of 2000. We went to a wedding on our first date, fell in love, got engaged, got married and lived happily ever after.

Too bad all stories aren't like ours, right?! Ha!

Nick and I had a rough first three years of marriage. Really rough. It's amazing that God got us through it. Even though we went through things that would end most marriages, God brought us closer. Today, I love Nick more than I ever thought I could. I always wanted to be married to my best friend but I started to believe that wasn't how it really worked. I can now call him my best friend. He makes me laugh, he is the first person I call when I am upset and I look forward to spending time with him at the end of a long day. I respect him for the man he has become and for the dad he has become to Eastan. He has shown me unconditional love and I thank God for him all the time!

Here are a few things you may or may not know about Nick:

Contrary to popular belief, Nick does not love to workout. He says that out of the 5 - 6 days he works out, he only enjoys 1 or 2 of them. He is just very dedicated and does not want to be fat.
Nick does love to run in 5K races. His time is normally 20 minutes and a few seconds. Even after a night of drinking beer! I think he is super human.

Nick is addicted to playing pick-up basketball games at the gym. He has jammed many fingers, rolled his ankle, had a few black eyes, fingernail scratches, and has "almost" been in a few brawls. He is not quick to tell me about any injuries or mishaps because I quit giving him sympathy months ago. I know, I'm heartless. But really, he does it to himself and he can stop playing any time he wants!

One of Nick's gifts is discernment. After Nick meets a new person, he will usually tell me if he gets a "good" or "bad" vibe from him/her. My response is, "He/she seems really nice, you are too critical." Nine out of 10 times, he is correct and proves me wrong! I envy that gift because I am too trusting.

Nick is a very patient person. It shows when he practices spelling with Eastan. I almost poke my eyes out just listening and Nick remains very calm. I need a double dose of Lexapro to be as calm as him!

It takes A LOT to get Nick to raise his voice. If he does raise his voice at me, I know that I have done something really wrong. Then I cry.
Nick loves Jax. Wait, everyone knows that!

He loves, loves, loves Christmas. It just so happens that he was born on St. Nicholas' Day but that is not why his name is Nicholas. His name was decided before he was born. It fits great though because he loves Christmas so much!

I call Nick the human calculator. He is constantly calculating numbers in his head. I am totally dumb when it comes to math. I envy him in that area too!
Nick's favorite show is King of Queens. It's programmed on our DVR and he watches at least two episodes each day.

I could go on and I am sure as soon as I post this, I will think of something I should have added. I'll end with this:

Nick, you are an amazing person. You have grown so much since I met you in 2000. I am so proud to call you my husband and I only pray that I show you the love you have shown me. Have a GREAT birthday! I love you!

6 comments:

Angela Heather Hammond said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aubrey said...

This is such a sweet, wonderful post! You are most certainly a lucky lady to have found your Nicholas. But he is equally lucky to have found you! The PJs love the Hills. Can't wait to see you at Christmas!!

gmacarolyn said...

It's interesting. The "word verification" on this post is BLESESS. Before I saw it, I was thinking what a blessing you each are - to each other and to your families and friends. You are blessed in your relationship with each other. We are blessed to have you. God created each of you for the other one and then He fine-tuned the relationship in a way that only He can. Congratulations on your birthday, Nick and may you have many many more! Keep up the good work Ashley - you are a wonderful wife and mother.

Angela Heather Hammond said...

Wow, this is a well-written, tear-jerking post. You and Nick continue to be an encouragement to me. I still remember the time I first met Nick, too. He was fourteen-years-old and bundled in this winter jacket that covered part of his face and all I could see were these two eyes glaring at me. I was thinking about that at dinner last night. Now, he is so distinguished. Sometimes, I have to remind myself that he is actually two years younger than me. Thanks for your wisdom, Nick. It really got me through the summer. Happy Birthday!

Mimi said...

I didn't get to read this last night on your actual birthday. When I read it tonight, I had tears running down my face. I am so proud of both of you for loving each other the way you do. Ashley, you said it all so eloquently. We are so glad that you and Eastan are a part of our family. I love all three of you!! Mom

shannon said...

What an amazing well written blog! I am extremely blessed to not only have such a great brother, but a great sister-in-law as well. I too am very proud of my brother for being such a great father and husband!